As you have read in our previous posts, the List Project is encouraging Iraqis to add their voices to our blog.  Over the past two weeks, Ubaida has been telling our readers about his experience moving to the U.S. and his dream of attending an American University.  Sightly different than the others, this post is a “how-to” for Iraqi readers interested in going back to school.  Please pass on this blog to any Iraqis who might be looking to go back to school.  Leave us a comment if you have questions!

My Engineering Master Degree in the United States of America     Part III

After long discussion with many professionals in the United States and in Iraq I made my decision to change my career from the technical side to a concentration on management. I started working on the admission requirements, which is standard for most of the universities. First of all, I had to answer to the major requirements. Let me list them first and I will go on to discuss each one separately:

– Applicant must have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from an approved institution.

– Usually a minimum of four years of study beyond grade 12

– Official GRE scores to be send by the formal institution directly to the university for the following code

– Official TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB scores submitted directly to the Graduate School from the testing services.

– English proficiency requirements

– Evidence of financial support

– Acceptance by the department or program in which prospective students seek a degree or graduate study.

Let’s take the first required item, that the applicant must have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from an approved institution. If the student had graduated from any international university (and that is the case with all Iraqi immigrants or refugees), they need to have their credentials evaluated by an accepted firm or organization working in credentials evaluation services. In this case may I suggest a website of one of the most recognized credential evaluation firms ( NACES is the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, and the members of this association are recognized credential evaluators.  You can find all the information on these firms via their own websites and contact them directly. I would recommend one of them based on the process and cost that I heard about from many friends, which is World Education Services, Inc ( They have a complete database about most of the Iraqi universities.  The process is a little bit complicated but it’s achievable. First of all you have to create an account to be able to submit an application to WES directly to get a reference number.  After completing the application you need to start the process in the other side with your university by filling out the transcripts request form from the following link ( by filling the first half of the application and sending it to the registration unit in your university. Let the registration employee fill the other half then sign and stamp the application and put together all your transcripts (original) in one envelop with application and close the package. Seal it with the official signature and stamps of the university on the edges of the envelope or package then send it to the WES directly via mail.  After a few weeks you will get your certificate evaluated (course by course) in a detailed report.

  • Published: 14 years ago on May 20, 2010
  • By:
  • Last Modified: May 20, 2010 @ 2:56 pm
  • Filed Under: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.