TLP staff comes together a few times a week to discuss the latest news, activities, and trends relating to our Iraqi allies. Find TLP’s latest activities and our staff’s weekly findings below.
1) Holiday Appeal: This holiday season, the List Project is reaching out to our supporters to raise money for TLP’s Emergency Support Fund. Recently resettled Iraqi refugees face enormous difficulties as they try to make their way here in the U.S.—new arrivals often have run out of their savings (after spending up to two years waiting to be resettled) and are in desperate need of funds to cover emergency medical bills, groceries and supplies, and travel costs. Because of your generosity, the List Project would like to offer a gift this year with each donation.
- Donate $50 and receive a List Project mug
- Donate $100 and receive a List Project hat
- Donate $500 and receive a framed piece of original List Project artwork (created by an Iraqi refugee)
*Make sure to put “Emergency Fund” in the “How did you hear about us” or “Donation dedication” line. Thank you for your support!
2) Trend Alert: The List Project saw applications increase by 30% in the last three weeks. Our staff reports that there are rumors in Iraq that IOM Baghdad is closing and that SIV opportunities are drying up. Neither of these rumors have proven to be true, but fear and the increase in minority violence attacks is driving many to contact TLP to begin the resettlement process.
3) News Recap: Our staff reads dozens of different articles and blog posts every day seeking out information relating to our Iraqi allies. Here are our top three stories for the week:
- UNHCR’s Iraq Monthly Highlights notes that the results of a UNHCR survey concluded that Iraqis who have returned to Baghdad from neighbouring countries found that physical insecurity, economic hardship and a lack of basic public services has led the majority to regret their decision to return to Iraq
- U.S. Troops Re-doubling Advise, Assist Efforts in Iraq by Jim Garamon, U.S. Department of Denfense News
- As U.S. Leaves, Iraqis Suffer Economic Toll by Jack Healy, New York Times
As always, our staff enjoys hearing your stories and comments. Please write us at email@example.com. Happy Holidays!