Developments in Iraq:
- The State Department announces plans to downsize its Iraqi Embassy staff, citing “a belief that a quieter and humbler diplomatic presence could actually result in greater leverage over Iraqi affairs” (Source: New York Times)
- Sadrists hold a Thursday rally celebrating the exit of American forces from the country. In a recorded speech, Moqtada al-Sadr called for unity and peace among Iraqis. He also called for the government to release resistance fighters. (Source: The National )
- Human Rights Watch called on the government of Iraq to stop executions. 65 prisoners have been executed since the beginning of the year. (Source: Human Rights Watch)
List Project Updates:
- TLP discusses the latest statement released by the Islamic State of Iraq on our blog.
- Iraqis on our list are not only in a bad situation in Iraq. With the closing of the U.S. Embassy in Syria this week, Iraqis there are in a tight spot as well. With violence on the rise and a regime that sees them as a nuisance, or worse, as criminal infiltrators, many Iraqis will choose to flee to Turkey in the coming days and weeks, becoming refugees yet again.